GS1 in Europe: Harmonised standards and solutions for European Business
Our vision Our mission Our approach Our scope Our role Our strength Our structure
Many companies consider Europe to be one market. Companies want to be sure that the investments they make in supply chain management solutions can be applied not just in one country but anywhere in an entire region - or the whole world.
One European market creates huge possibilities but also new challenges for your business. Themes like just-in-time delivery, counterfeiting, shrinkage and out-of-stock all get a new, more complicated dimension in the perspective of the growing Europe. Smoothly implemented global standards are a key-factor for effective and efficient supply chain management.
A European approach by GS1 member organisations allows a quick and uniform implementation of standards across European countries.
GS1 Europe has become "GS1 in Europe", this name change reflects that GS1 in Europe really believes that European user companies will benefit from using global GS1 standards. GS1 in Europe plays a key role in enabling the implementation of GS1 standards in Europe. Companies using the GS1 standards will benefit from a harmonised approach by European GS1 organisations for creating and implementing standards for supply and demand chain management.
GS1 in Europe is a collaboration of 46 GS1 member organisations: We lead the creation and implementation of harmonised, user-driven solutions for improving the supply and demand chain of European companies. These solutions will be based on GS1 standards.
GS1 in Europe is active in three ways. First, we coordinate integrated GS1 expertise in the areas of Auto ID, master data alignment, product classification and EDI/e-Commerce for supply and demand chain management in all kinds of industries. Secondly, we promote projects that meet the particular needs of European members. In both cases, our aim is to provide European users with targeted support to improve their supply and demand chain processes. Finally, GS1 in Europe is capable to support the implementation of harmonised standards and solutions.
GS1 in Europe brings the activities of European GS1 organisations into harmony. GS1 Europe gives you access to expertise, experience and regional information. By bundling the requirements of European users and drawing on national resources for European activities, we can enable our members to avoid discrepancies in the local implementation of standards. Our platform serves as the basis for exchanging information and can flexibly adapt to meet particular regional needs and the existing regional structure. It's easy for us to customise our network of expertise to support European users. And because of our proximity to EU, you get first-hand information from an organisation able to influence decisions.
GS1 in Europe runs projects that are designed to meet the needs of European users. Furthermore, we work with our members to ensure that European requirements are given appropriate consideration in the implementation of GS1 standards. As a result, we eliminate any discrepancies between GS1 standards in Europe. Below, we describe some of our current activities.
The role of GS1 in Europe
- Coordinate a single implementation of GS1 standards for the European Market.
- Work with users and MOs to ensure that European requirements are properly reflected in the development of GS1 standards (GSMP).
- Maximise the adoption of GS1 standards and solutions in existing industry sectors.
- Implement and promote pan-European GS1 solutions to new industry sectors.
- Promote the aims and objectives of GS1 to European institutions and industry bodies.
- Raise EU Funding for developing cross European projects.
- Coordination of inputs in European industry bodies.
- Work together to develop common solutions to accelerate the adoption of GS1 standards across Europe.
- Seek to remove divergences in the deployment of GS1 standards across Europe.
- Coordination of inputs in GS1, EPCglobal and GDSN governance bodies.
- Work together to organise training on implementation of GS1 standards in Europe.
- Support of Member Organisations in European matters.
The strength of GS1 in Europe are the global Standards of GS1 that have proven their added value in many business sectors for the past 25 years.
Research and development executed by GS1 will provide the business community with new solutions. Co-operation with organizations like The Consumer Goods Forum and ECR Europe guarantees user involvement.
A close and open co-operation with GS1 Global Office will ensure alignment with GS1 on an international level.